MINUTES, BVRI BOARD MEETING, APRIL 21, 2001
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order by President Dave Morley at 4:02pm in a joint presence at the Community Services Building Conference Room at Bear Valley, California and on a conference call-in number set up to accommodate several members unable to attend this meeting in person.
Katherine Aitken-Young, Jim Blake, Suzanne Blumenthal-Smith, Eric Jung, Dave Morley, Brian Neth, Liz Protell, Bill Webb, Gary Willard
Absent: Leslie Peterson, Bob Maxfield
Additional Attendees: Ron Murphy, Jeff Sibley, Jack Wedgwood, Terry Woodrow, Deputy Jeff Sanford, Dr. Nick Grace
* Minutes of 1/20/00 Meeting
MOTION: Jim Blake moved to approve minutes. Seconded by Gary Willard. All members in favor. None opposed.
These minutes have been APPROVED AND POSTED TO THE WEBSITE. Eric has been asked to add the YEAR to the link on the website for these minutes.
* Treasurer's Report
Brian Neth presented. $43k in bank
Beach staff reserve: Membership dues received so far: $11k (Last year BVRI received closer to $18k)
Full Treasurer's reports available from Brian Neth.
Brian asked if we should reserve $$ for the beach person this year. Liz brought up that there was question whether we needed a beach person this year at all. Terry noted that it is not a lifeguard position, just a cleanup position so it could be done in a limited number of hours. sometimes dues have been collected at the beach--but it's minimal if at all. Dues are more likely to be collected at the beach on picnic day. Duties include: Rake in the morning, clean up in the afternoon. Do 7 day-a-week AM/PM. Person hired is through Mountain Adventure Seminars so they do not appear as an employee of BVRI. Brian Neth will follow up with MAS to secure the person and reserve the funds.
*Lodge Pool Use
Suzanne Blumenthal-Smith has been following up on this with the lodge. Lodge has been talking to their lawyers about how to simplify this process. Suzanne will provide more details in the next few weeks.
Saturday, August 26, 2001 Bear Lake BVRI Member Beach
Raffle and picnic commence at 12:00 NOON. Liz Protell will manage again this year and Brian Neth will be transitioning in as the lead for the 2002 picnic. Katherine Aitken-Young will assist with promotions, signage, etc.
*Picnic Raffle funding TARGET:
Liz Protell will lead the search for a "broad appeal" target for funding from the raffle proceeds.
*VIP Program (Volunteers in Prevention)
This program has been effective over the years to ensure a "defensible space" around homes in Bear Valley. It encourages raking lots 30' around houses and clearing the debris to a burn pile. In the past BVRI has done inspections and assisted residents who needed it to clear lots. Per Eric, these inspection teams have been very effective.
*Burn Pile Status
There IS a burn pile across the highway on Bruce Orvis' land per Eric Jung. Jason Comfort has an exclusive arrangement with Bruce Orvis to use the burn pile. Jason can be hired to haul material to the burn pile. You CAN do it on your own property but the fire must be attended ENTIRE time it is burning.
Per Suzanne Blumenthal-Smith: A letter and checklist from the Fire Dept. went out to all residents last September. The newsletter has also been a prime communication tool on this. Onwers of undeveloped lots are supposed to clear their areas as well.
Brian Neth will chair this committee. Bill Webb will assist. Suzanne Blumenthal-Smith will provide resources as needed from last year.
*Enforcement of Snowmobile Ordinance
Dave Morley got a letter from Dave Downie dated 2/14/01 asking for help to move the snowmobile trail. The Sheriff's department did re-route the trail per Terry Woodrow. Letter to Alan Turner went out regarding enforcement issues. Bill Webb and Alan had a discussion 4/4/01. Alan's action was to follow up with the Sheriff and get back to Bill. There were two specific questions addressed:
1. Is the ordinance enforceable in common areas
2. Is the ordinance enforceable for recreation riding 10pm to 6am.
Dave Morley will follow up with Dave Downie to confirm the road issue is now acceptable. Bill Webb will report back when he hears from Alan Turner the answer to the specific questions about enforceability of the ordinance.
*County Resource Advisory Committee
Per Eric Jung there may be grant money available for some of the areas we've gotten involved with such as: forestry management, Harry Schimke logging project, stream maintenance (clearing, etc.). Eric's recommendation is to monitor this committee and he will continue to do this. August is an excellent time to do the stream clearing. We will have a "spring cleanup" the weekend of 8/25-26 when we're up there for the picnic and general meeting. Eric will organize this effort.
Dumpster will be brought in the weekend of 7/7-8. Bill will put a notice in the newsletter so residents know when and where this will be available.
*Status of Election
The guidelines in the bylaws regarding how to hold an election with definition about other members vs. members from the new subdivision owners and candidates are unclear. In the first election mailing there was some confusion regarding subdivision and non-subdivision owners. We didn't tell people how many to vote for nor did we leave a space for write-in candidates. The board has therefore decided to do a second election mailing that will go out shortly.
Dave Morley is working with Jim Blake to be sure we are covering all the legal bases on this. Mailing labels will be printed and Fed Exed to Bill Webb as soon as the target recipients are clearly identified and the election mailer is prepared.
Once the bylaws have been accepted by a majority of the membership, the board Secretary must sign and certify. The bylaws were changed by the previous board, but no signed copy is in evidence at this time. Dave Morley to follow up with Jack Shuck regarding approval of bylaw changes submitted to attorney following 1/22/2000 BVRI Meeting. Dave will work with Jim Blake to move forward on finalizing and certifying the bylaws. Katherine Aitken-Young, Board Secretary, will sign and certify the bylaws as soon as all clarifications are made. Once bylaws are certified they will be posted on the BVRI website.
Bill Webb will promote membership renewal in the next newsletter. Katherine-Aitken-Young will create a membership drive sign. Dave at the General Store may be willing to have BVRI membership forms in the store. Katherine will follow up with him as well.
*Status of swim platform and beach BBQ's
Per Brian Neth: $1000 reserved to remove and scrap the old ploatform. Also $4k in reserve to purchase a new one. Jason Comfort was to be hired to remove the existing platform. no action has been taken on this as of this meeting. Liz Protell would like to have new buoys and anchors funded as well. New permanent BBQ's are also under consideration. Bill Webb has offered to assist in building these but doesn't want to be responsible for design, etc.
Permanent fulltime usable toilet with running water and power on site. If we're going to run a water line, we should also put in a sewer and power line.
Ask for builder RFP and put a plaque on it "donated by". Liz Protell will follow up on finding a resource for this and getting prices in. Brian will follow up on the development of a budget for this based on the numbers that Liz finds out.
Note: Terry Woodrow worked with Bob Schulz last year and did identify where some of the lines were around the beach area. She will provide those notes as needed.
*Status of tennis courts
There was a special committee being formed outside of BVRI. Per Eric, the corner survey was started too late last year. This can be done again this year. Terry and Eric walked the area with Michelle Plotnik but it was put on the back burner after the snow fell. There was never a high usage of the tennis courts when they were available in the meadow. This is an expensive proposition but would be a nice amenity for the community.
We already have a motion to spend $2K on the feasibility study for the tennis courts. Eric Jung and Terry Woodrow will follow up with Craig and Michelle to continue the work that has already been started on the feasibility study. Per Brian when he took over the treasury there was no existing reserve for tennis courts. Per Terry this money was returned to the general fund when the tennis courts were no longer open.
Gary Willard spoke to Jim Martin in Sacramento on the Regional Water Quality Control Board. The availability of the 40 acre spray field is moving slowly. Looks like water district won't get control of this area until middle of June. 6/14-15 there's a meeting of the Water Quality Control Board. There is a proposal to remove the cease and desist that's in place at that meeting that would result in a removal of the hold on hookups that is currently in place. Processing for the NPDES Permit is in process as well. There will be an opportunity for public comment in the 6/14-15 meeting. At the very least, BVRI should write something to the Regional Water Quality Control Board recommending the cease and desist be lifted. Per Eric a show of BVRI membership at the meeting would really help our cause on this.
*Other old business
Gary Willard is following up on finding out if/how Bear Paw Ridge lots are being brought into the BVRI jurisdiction.
Nothing is happening per Ron Murphy. No new plans under review for the cmoing year. One new one is coming in a week or so. A year ago Ron got approval by the board to send a letter to the new sub homeowners that includes CC&R and building constraints. 2-3 page ifnormational note to homeowners. Objective: Information. Include summary of when you need to get ARC and county involved. Better impact if it goes as a separate mailing. Postage, reproduction, envelopes. Ron Murphy will write and Dave will proof.
*Scholarship program ($1k per student)
Bill Webb reported on the program. This is a program to support local high school graduates going on to higher education. All eligible students must be BV school graduates as well. In 2000 there were four scholarships awarded. Target this year's scholarship award at the the 8/25 picnic by Dave Morley.
MOTION: Brian Neth moved that we reserve $1K for the scholarship fund this coming year. Seconded by Terry Woodrow. All members in favor. None opposed.
*Con Call format
Option to continue this format is an excellent way of enhancing full board participation. Cost of call setup and toll charges will be covered by BVRI.
New President's Message from Dave Morley needed. Dave will write and forward to Eric for posting.
Update of Board Member Listing Needed. Board members to review the posted listing and send updates to Eric for posting.
Posting of bylaws needed: After clarification and certification, bylaws will be posted on the Website.
Trash/Recycling Update: Add scheduled trash bin emptying days of weekly Weds/Thursday to the trash/recycling info posted on the site. Per Terry Woodrow, there's a new maintenance person coming in who may monitor this more closely. Ultimately Leonard Turnbeaugh of Public Works is responsible for the scheduling and policing of the trash and recycling. If there are specific issues regarding this, they should be addressed to him
*Fall newsletter schedule
Target early June publication date. All editorial due to Bill Webb by June 1
*Next board meeting
Sunday, August 26 at 8:30 am
Saturday August 25th 12:00 noon
Sunday, August 26th at 10:00 am
Meeting adjourned at 5:30pm.
GO BACK TO MINUTES INDEX GO BACK TO HOME PAGE