MINUTES BVRI BOARD MEETING MARCH 29, 2003
ATTENDING BOARD MEMBERS: Dave Morley, Katherine Aitken-Young, Jim Blake, Gloria English, Sue Garratt, Nick Grace, Eric Jung, Ron Murphy, Brian Neth, Leslie Peterson, Paul Petersen, Don Thorson, Bill Webb, Jack Wedgwood, Gary Willard
ABSENT BOARD MEMBERS:
Guests: Bob Broyer, Terry Woodrow, Jeff Sanford, Rick Stephens, Morley Singer
John & Sandy Watts
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Dave Morley at 4:04pm in a joint presence at the Library at Bear Valley, California and on a conference call-in number set up to accommodate members unable to attend this meeting in person.
Morley Singer made a presentation on the status of the Tennis Court Program.
* President's Report
* Election Update Election ballots were counted. No write-ins were submitted. All five candidates are thereby elected. The board welcomed Nick Grace--a new board member to fill the recently-vacated board position of Milt Jones.
Election of BVRI officers: Dave Morley -- President Katherine Aitken-Young -- Secretary Brian Neth --Treasurer MOTION: Jack Wedgwood Moved to accept the officer appointments SECOND: Nick Grace Seconded All members in favor. None opposed.
Re-appointment of Architectural Review Committee members: Ron Murphy--Chair Gary Willard Terry Woodrow Robin La Roy Clem Soga MOTION: Bill Webb moved to accept the re-appointment of the ARC members. SECOND: Leslie Peterson All members in favor. None opposed.
Board of Supervisors Report: Terry Woodrow US Forest Service doing work on the Mokelumne crest trail (part of the Pacific Crest trail). They're building two pedestrian bridges at Lake Alpine. Caltrans--Highway 4 will be plowed and is expected to be open by 5/1. Working on passing lanes this summer--pending funding. BV Firehouse: bid accepted and funding is pending final approval. Construction will commence 5/15. BV Early Learning Ctr. will supply childcare to 15 BV children. Pending site selection. Tours for snow mobilers with US Forest service to show people where the boundaries are.
* CC&R Compliance A committee was formed to review the CC&Rs and develop a list of enforceable compliance items along with an associated fine schedule that will be published to the community. The committee includes: Jim Blake, Bill Webb, Gloria English & Ron Murphy
* Snow Mobile Sound Monitoring System: Reported on by Jeff Sanford The only way to ensure a sound violation stands up in court is if we have proper DB measurement equipment available to local law enforcement. DB measurement equipment cost is $2,000. Per Terry Woodrow, there are no county funds available to cover this. Because we're near the end of the snow mobile season for this year, it probably doesn't make sense to purchase the equipment until next year.
* Minutes of January 18, 2003 Meeting MOTION: Bill Webb Moved to approve the minutes of the 1/18/03 BVRI Board Meeting as distributed by Katherine Aitken-Young SECOND: Jack Wedgwood Seconded All members in favor. None opposed. Katherine Aitken-Young will send a final set of minutes to Eric Jung to post the approved minutes to the website.
* Treasurer's Report Brian sent the report to all members. MOTION: Jack Wedgwood moved to accept the treasurer's report. SECOND: Sue Garratt Seconded All members in favor. None opposed.
* Grant Applications for Highway 4, Spicer Reservoir area and the Bear Valley subdivision. Gary Willard sent a background document to the board on 3/28 for discussion. Grant funding would be used for the creation of separate cross-country only path utilizing the bike path around Lake Alpine. The letters for the subdivision grants should recommend funding for enforcement of snowmobile use regulations within the subdivision. MOTION: Bill Webb Moved that Gary Willard will draft a letter to be sent over the signature of Board President, Dave Morley urging the commission to fund these grants. SECOND: Ron Murphy Seconded All members in favor. None opposed.
* Summer Picnic: July 4th, 4:00pm Brian Neth reported that the picnic program is currently in development. This year we need to get more people involved. Katherine will provide a schedule by which donations need to be confirmed in order to include them on the signage for the picnic. Raffle money will be directed to: the new BV Early Learning Center. MOTION: Garry Willard moved to direct the raffle funds to the new BV Early Learning Center program. SECOND: Bill Webb Seconded All members in favor. None opposed.
* Snowmobile use in BV. More individuals in BV are buying 4-stroke machines for use in BV. Eric Jung reported that he's seeking donations to help fund the delta between the purchase price of a the 2-stroke snow mobiles vs. the cost of the 4-stroke machines. Eric suggested writing a grant request to help fund this as well. A sub-committee was formed to explore the grant possibilities to support this. Sub-committee members: Gary Willard, Don Thorson, and Eric Jung MOTION: Eric Jung moved that BVRI reserve $500 to seed this program. SECOND: Gary Willard seconded. All members in favor. None opposed.
* Lake Report: Sue Garratt A recent letter was received regarding swimming in Bear Lake. Sue will contact Bruce Orvis, Sr. to get more details on this issue. Sue has taken two main responsibilities with regard to the Beach. 1. Beach operations in the summer 2. Developing the plan to restore BVRI property around the lake and cleaning up the feeder streams. Beach operation is going well. Restoration is moving more slowly. The meeting to ID problems/solutions and make decisions needs to be done in person--with a walk through followed by a meeting to discuss and make decisions. We have many resources available and we need to decide how to use them. We have 52 trees that have been cut down. Sue to contact Rick Stephans to see if he will remove them and sell the wood. Removal of slash and brush needs to be the responsibility of whoever removes the wood.
* 5:30 pm Executive Session Commenced Regarding: CC&R Violation Following introductions, Ron Murphy, ARC Chairman, provided history of violation from ARC perspective. Homeowner provided history from his own perspective indicating he didn't hide any of the work that was being done so he assumed the work was approved. Homeowner indicated that he had county demolition and building permits. Ron Murphy pointed out that the planning commission letter sent to the homeowner specifically stated that approval was for variance only and indicated that three copies of final drawings were required in order to receive approval to proceed with construction. Ron also indicated that BV ARC is not a policing organization but rather a review board established to uphold the CC&Rs. Main issue: ARC has never received final plans to review and approve the work that has already been done. Next step: Homeowner to submit final plans to ARC for formal review/approval. 6:12 pm Compliance Committee Review complete.
* BV Music Festival Randy Hanvelt, President, John Goodrich and Dave Adams, board members, from the music festival made a brief presentation about the upcoming music festival (to be held this year 7/26-8/10). They indicated they really need BVRI support in attendance, donations, promotion, and contributions of housing--the single most expensive item in the music festival budget. They indicated the festival brochure will be out in the next 7-10 days.
* Adjournment 6:30pm MOTION: Sue Garratt moved to adjourn the meeting. SECOND: Jack Wedgwood seconded. All members in favor. None opposed.
-- Katherine Aitken-Young a. 225 Fisalia Court, Fremont, CA 94539 p. 510.623.9625 f. 510.623.7362 e. email@example.com w. http://www.brynmorgan.com
GO BACK TO MINUTES PAGE GO BACK TO HOME PAGE