BEAR VALLEY RESIDENTS INCORPORATED
Board Meeting Minutes April 17, 2004
David Morley presiding
Board Members attending: Ron Murphy, Bill Webb, Gordon Ritter, Eric Jung; attending by phone, Dave Morley, Jack Wedgwood, Brian Neth, Nick Grace, Gary Willard
Guests: Don Stikkers, Terry Woodrow, Scott Francis, Dep. Jeff Sanders, Kimi Johnson, Ann Murphy, Clint Celio; by phone, Doug Frazer
Minutes for January meeting: Grace move, Webb 2nd, to approve; unanimous
Treasurers Report: Brian Neth said we got $7,000 more in memberships, and
have $5,000 more in the bank than this time last year. We will need to budget $3,000 for
scholarships; $5,000 for the beach, $7,000 for lake management.
Wedgwood move, Grace 2nd, to accept report; unanimous.
Election of Board members: There were 130 ballots. The five candidates were elected. The count was: Gloria English, 125; Nick Grace, 123; Ron Murphy, 122; Jack Wedgwood, 122; Gary Willard, 122.
Election of Officers: Wedgwood nominated Brian Neth for President; Webb 2nd; unanimous. Wedgwood nominated Eric Jung for Vice President, Neth 2nd; unanimous. Wedgwood nominated Katherine Aitken-Young for Secretary, Webb 2nd; unanimous. Morley nominated Wedgwood for Treasurer, Murphy 2nd; unanimous.
Morley thanked the Board. He noted that Jim Blake has listed his Bear Valley house for sale and will need to be replaced on the Board. Wedgwood was given several names of people who might be interested. Morley said it was important to find Board members who believe in the CC&Rs, since one of the Boards primary functions is to enforce them.
Tennis Courts: Woodrow said the Planning Commission continued the matter of the tennis courts. Scott Francis spoke against the Par Course site for the courts, citing potential adverse environmental and social impacts, and asked the Board to take a position against that site. The consensus of the Board was to stand on its previous position of general support for the courts, without comment on location.
Snowmobiles: Willard said he felt that snowmobile impacts were down this winter. Don Thorson is working on better signage. The Bear Valley Snowmobile Club has 44 memberships, representing 80 to 100 people. Morley said the community needs a general discussion of snowmobiles. Grace agreed, saying let the community speak. Morley said it might be wise to have a facilitator. Neth said we need to set goals, including education and less pollution. Doug Frazer suggested a committee of homeowners to work on it, and said the Snowlands survey confirmed community interest in the subject. Deputy Sanders said that, although there were more visitors this winter, snowmobile complaints were down, indicating that measures taken so far were working.The consensus was to have a Board committee work on a framework for the discussion at the July general meeting. Grace volunteered to join the Boards committee of Willard and Thorson to work on it.
Forestry Management: Don Stikkers said he may be amending his report after followup
work on chipping and thinning, and a review of the USFS treatment plan. He asked about
auxiliary power for Bear Valleys water treatment system. Board will research.
Stikkers said it is virtually certain that the power would go out during a big fire. He
said air drops on a fire are more effective with an open stand of trees because retardant
doesnt get caught up in the canopy. He said the community needs to agree on what
kind of a forest stand it wants; its too dense now, and he suggested diversity and
healthy, larger trees as positive goals. He discussed current regulations for tree
The Board agreed to send a copy of Stikkers report to all the members, and invited Stikkers to speak at the July general meeting. The consensus was to encourage the removal of as many dead trees as possible this summer.
Stikkers said the Firesafe Council is sponsoring a wood chipper program this summer. Board to coordinate so that homeowners can take advantage of it.
Woodrow said that dead wood, brush, and pine needles can be hauled to Camp Connell this summer. For info, call 754-6403. She noted problems with establishing a local burn pile.
Stikkers report will be put on the website, and the subject will be brought up at the picnic.
Woodrow introduced Clint Celio, Coordinator of the East Side Firesafe Council. He noted that Bear Valley is the first community in the county to start on a community fire and forestry management plan. He will incorporate Stikkers report into the county plan. He said we will increase our chances of getting grant money from the Healthy Forests Initiative if we address: (1.) collaborative effort (2.) a list of prioritized projects (3.) structural ignitability. He will try to help us through the Firesafe Council with planning, education, mailers, and funding. We need a Memorandum of Understanding between BVRI and the Firesafe Council.
Re paying Stikkers for his work, the consensus was to have the Firesafe Council pay us and we pay Stikkers. Neth and Woodrow will be the contact people.
A committee was established, with Willard, Grace, English, and Jung.
Morley thanked Stikkers and Celio.
Swimming in Bear Lake: Woodrow said Assemblyman Leslies bill AB1934, establishing a waiver to allow swimming in Bear Lake, passed its first committee hearing without opposition. Its not on the fast track, to avoid opposition, and would not become law until summer 2005 if passed.
Board of Supervisors Report: Woodrow said there is a meeting May 11 on the matter of more water rights for Bear Valley. Plowing of the subdivision starts Monday the 19th. Plowing of Ebbetts Pass has already commenced.
Architectural Review Committee: Murphy said they are reviewing a minor remodel and a new log-trimmed home. He is having 100 more copies of the CC&Rs printed @ $5.
Picnic: is Sunday July 4, 1pm. Brad Peterson will play again.
General Meeting: July 3, 10am.
Scholarship: Webb said it appears there are two eligible candidates.
CC&Rs: Morley noted receipt of a letter complaining about lights shining off-property, in violation of the CC&Rs. We will try to do a subdivision survey over the July 4th holiday to check for proper lighting, and we will put a paragraph in the next newsletter.
Water Tank: Wedgwood asked about a water tank promised by BV Mt. Resort. Morley or Neth will call Bruce Orvis and find out its status.
E-Mail: Jung conveyed a members suggestion that BVRI send e-mail notification to members about the plowing of the subdivision. The consensus was to have the Secretary do it.
Next Meeting: June 12, 4pm. Then July 3, 8am before the general meeting.
GO BACK TO MINUTES PAGE GO BACK TO HOME PAGE