BEAR VALLEY RESIDENTS INC.
Minutes, Board Meeting 7-3-04
Brian Neth presiding
Attending: Ron Murphy, Bill Webb, Paul Petersen, Leslie Peterson, Gloria English, Gary Willard, Dave Morley, Nick Grace, Jack Wedgwood, Eric Jung
Guests: Don Stikkers, Terry Woodrow, Cary Stover
Minutes of 4-17-04 Bd. Mtg.: Webb move to approve, Grace 2nd; unanimous
Forestry: Dave Morley reported on a meeting of the forestry committee, and a field trip with Don Stikkers the day before to learn how Stikkers assesses a stand of trees. He explained the concept of basal area coverage as a cross sectional area of trees in a given area, measured at 4 feet off the ground. Don Stikkers said that a healthy stand has about 40 to 60% canopy coverage. He will help us with loggers. Not all trees cut will be saleable. Dave Finn and Dennis Weatherman are qualified loggers; Weatherman also has a chipper. A representative of the ARC should be present when Stikkers assesses a subdivision lot. Dead trees must be cut, although a logger may want a tree if its been dead less than a year. The group made suggestions to edit the forestry handout for the general meeting.
Morley move to amend the Design Standards to allow property owners to cut trees up to 12" DBH (4 feet above ground) without ARC permission, changed from 6"; Willard 2nd; unanimous. Murphy to draft language.
Treasurers Report: Jack Wedgwood handed out his report.
Wedgwood move to move all receipts from the $20 dues increase into the forestry management line item for this year. English 2nd; unanimous.
Morley move, Willard 2nd to accept report; unanimous.
We have 248 members so far (pre-picnic count). We eventually had 312 last year.
Tennis Courts: Tamarack Lodge has offered to allow construction of 2 courts there.
Swimming in Bear Lake: Supe. Terry Woodrow said she and Brucie Orvis attended a committee hearing for AB1934 where it passed, thanks largely to help from Assemblywoman Liz Figueroa. It goes next to the Appropriations Committee. Our State Senator Rico Oller will carry the bill in the Senate.
Beach: Gloria English reported that she has hired an attendant. There was discussion of key and lock problems at the beach gate. The post was knocked down. English has developed a contract for groups wishing to use the beach, including a $50 deposit. She said hardly any Board members showed up for the beach cleanup party, and suggested that we just pay someone to do it next year.
Paul Petersen move to allow the BV Summer Recreation Program to use the beach, on condition of a signed contract with us and showing written proof of insurance; Webb 2nd; unanimous.
Supervisors Report: Woodrow said the Firesafe Council will have a table with informational material at the General Meeting and at the Search & Rescue picnic. She discussed the chipper program, and said the water rights application for Bear Lake is still pending.
Architectural Review Committee: Ron Murphy reported that there are 2 new homes, one on Bear Paw Ridge and one on Mule Ear; 2 remodels; 2 repaint; 2 reroof. He noted two violations, a restain and a new deck done without ARC approval. The consensus of the Board was to invite the owners of the two properties to the August 7 meeting for a hearing.
Lot Inventory: The property survey will include 30 foot clearance, snowmobile storage, and dead trees. Murphy, Willard, Leslie Peterson, Dave Morley, Paul Petersen, Don Thorson, and Eric Jung volunteered to take a section each.
Ski Bus: The consensus was to hold the discussion for the general meeting.
Snowmobile Signage: Willard and Thorson presented a proposal for signs to go at Quaking Aspen, near the dumpsters, at the edge of the Lodge lot, and at C parking lot. The signs would be routed wood, and would cost $2,500 each. The Board asked Willard and Thorson to get another bid.
Willard move to approve $5,000 for the signs; Webb 2nd. Unanimous
Picnic: The old barbecues are falling apart. We need to buy 2 more. Picnic begins at 1pm. Pres. Neth asked everyone to show up at 9am to begin setup.
Scholarship: Webb said the 4 candidates would be presented their awards at the picnic.
Dumpster Signs: tattered. Woodrow noted.
Next Meeting: August 7, 9am, at the County Services Building.
GO BACK TO HOME PAGE GO BACK TO MINUTES PAGE